Physical Health: Importance of Food in the Body
Underweight if the weight of the children is below the normal weight. Underweight children are usually thin.
Overweight if the weight of the children is above the normal weight. Overweight children are stout.
Both underweight and overweight children do not eat the right kind and right amount of food. This is called malnutrition.
- Our body needs food to provide us with the nutrients for energy to work and play.
- We also need food for growth, and to repair and replace worn out and damaged body parts.
- Food helps the cells of our body do their functions and work.
- Balanced diet is a meal that contains the right amount of food nutrients needed by our body.
Balanced diet includes these three kinds of foods:
1. Energy-building foods, or carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are found in starchy or sugary foods, such as bread, rice, pasta, cereal, potatoes, peas, corn, fruit, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, cookies, candy, soda, and other sweets.
2. Body-building foods or proteins such as whole milk, cheese, meat, poultry, eggs, beans, nuts, and seeds.
3. Regulating food such as green-leafy vegetables, fruits, vitamins and minerals.
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins and minerals are protective foods because they help prevent diseases.
Vitamin A helps promote healthy bones, teeth, eyes, and skin. It comes from milk, eggs, and green and yellow vegetables.
Vitamin B is found in whole-grain breads and cereals, most vegetables, meat, eggs, and milk. It helps body cells use energy and oxygen. It prevents beri-beri.
Vitamin C comes from citrus fruits and vegetables. It helps keep bones, teeth and gums healthy. It also helps in healing wounds. It prevents scurvy, a gum disease.
Vitamin D promotes healthy bones and teeth. It is found in sunlight, milk, liver, and eggs. It prevents rickets, a bone disease.
Vitamin E helps remove poison from cells and promotes normal functioning of cell membranes. Grains, meat, fish, vegetable oil, and margarine are rich in Vitamin E.
Vitamin K is important for blood clotting. Good sources of this are green-leafy vegetables, tomatoes, and pork.
Calcium from seafood, vegetables, milk, and meat products help build tissues and regulate body fluids. Calcium is also needed to maintain strong teeth and bones.
Iodine prevents goiter and mental retardation. Iodized salt is rich with iodine. Other sources are seaweeds, fish and shell.
Magnesium is another mineral for bone and dental health. It is found in whole grains, nuts, legumes, and green leafy vegetables.
- It is one of the most important nutrients needed by our body.
- Water is needed for our body functions and regulates body temperature.
- Water in our body comes from the water, beverages we drink, water from vegetables, fruits, and soups.
- Through perspiration and urine, the water comes out of our body.
- The water that comes out on our body should be replaced.
- Drink atleast 8 glasses of water a day to replace the water that comes out on our body.
- Is an activity that uses all the muscles of the body in order to become stronger and firmer.
- It improves the circulation of blood in the body.
- It also helps the heart and lungs becomes stronger.
- It may burn body fat.
- After long hours of activities, we need to rest in order to build energy.
- Sleep is the best form of rest. We need at least seven to eight hours of sleep daily.